This year, we decided to travel to South Africa in June, which is winter time in the Southern hemisphere. We usually go in December but with the school activities becoming more serious and the short December holiday, we wanted to try and move to the longer ‘summer break’ to do our trips to South Africa.
The weather actually cooperated very well and most of the two and a half weeks was sunny and very pleasant. Not warm enough to swim in the ocean, but definitely warm enough for some really fun activities.
This year’s trip was in two parts. The first half of the trip was in Hermanus and Kleinmond (about 2 hours drive from Cape Town east along the south coast), and the second half was in and around Cape Town.
Hermanus and Kleinmond
Danie rented a fantastic house in Hermanus where all the Theunissens could hang out for about 4 days. It was a great place to relax and connect. After that, we moved to an Airbnb in Kleinmond, which is a small coastal town close to Hermanus where my Mom and Dad live. A few fun things we did:
- Hiked along the Palmiet river with Jannie, Marna, Nerina and Cobus (jr)
- Spectacular lunch at Creation, a very impressive winery at the top of the Hemel-en-Aarde (Heaven and Earth) valley near Hermanus
- Ziplining in the Hottentots Holland mountains near Elgin
We stayed with Danie (as usual!) in his wonderful home in Constantia (at the foot of Table Mountain) and also spent a few nights in his beach house in Scarborough. A few memorable things we did:
- Boat ride to Robben Island where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned
- Sunset pirate cruise in Table Bay
- Ropes course in Constantia
- High team at the Mount Nelson hotel with my parents